Veg Out: Vegan Sriracha Meatballs With Noodles
Source: Food Republic
Sometimes, the best vegan food is the food you don’t even know is vegan. Join YouTube star and vegan chef Gaz Oakley and revitalize your veggie game like never before. These vegan sriracha meatballs pair with smoky grilled vegetables for a hearty bowl of noodles you won’t forget any time soon.
These punchy little “meatballs” are so delicious. Sriracha is one of my all-time favorite sauces – the spicy tanginess it adds to this dish is just perfect. Make sure you get some nice charring on the grilled vegetables as it adds lots of flavors
- 1 10-ounce firm block tofu, water drained and excess water removed
- 3 spring onions, very finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chili, finely chopped
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Egg Replacement
- 4 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, for sauteeing
- 5 tablespoons Sriracha
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons water
- 10 1/2 ounces of rice noodles
- Vegetables (such as asparagus, bak Choi, tender stem broccoli, radishes, carrots, sugar snap peas)
- Cucumber ribbons
- Mixed sesame seeds
- fresh cilantro
For the meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- First up, make those meatballs. Mash the tofu with a potato masher in a large mixing bowl, until it’s broken up into small pieces. Add all the other meatball ingredients to the bowl and stir until well incorporated. If the mix is still slightly wet, add a couple of extra tablespoons of flour.
- Now it’s time to form the mixture into balls. Take 1 large tablespoon of mixture and form into a ball with your hands. Repeat until you’ve used up all the mixture. Lightly flour your hands between each meatball to stop the mixture from sticking. Place the meatballs onto the lined baking tray as you go.
- Cook the rice noodles according to the packet instructions and prepare your vegetables for grilling.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over low heat, add the coconut oil and sauté the meatballs in small quantities, until golden. This should take approximately 3 minutes per batch. Place them back onto the tray, then into the oven to cook through for 10 minutes. While the meatballs are in the oven, mix together the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and heat gently until you’re ready to serve. Grill your vegetables on a hot griddle pan until charred.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, serve in a large bowl with the rice noodles, lots of the grilled vegetables, the cucumber ribbons and plenty of sauce.
- Sprinkle over mixed sesame seeds and chopped coriander just before serving.